Ponder Haven
Food. Travel. Random Thoughts.

First Time: SM North EDSA IMAX Theater

Label(s): , ; Posted By Ry

We were very excited to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 last July. It’s the novel’s last movie installment. For a change, we wanted to watch it in IMAX, a first time for us. Well, it’s a good thing that we didn’t have to go south to SM Mall of Asia as an IMAX theater had been set up in SM North EDSA a few years back.

As the movie is expected to be a blockbuster, it was about two weeks before the screening date when I reserved our tickets and I was a bit surprised that the center seats are all taken. Well, L22 and L23 still aren’t bad. Although according to the SM Cinema staff, rows J and K are the recommended seat rows.
ticket price is P450 per head for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
I’m not sure if ticket price is standard or movie-specific though 

And oh, I realized that SM Cinema now has an online reservation system. Seats can be reserved and paid online for instant confirmation or be paid at any SM Cinema counter of any SM mall at least three days prior to the screening day.

IMAX Theater in SM North EDSA is actually the old Cinema 12 that has been renovated. It now includes a lounge which serves as waiting area for the next screening.

As the crowd gets thicker, I thought SM can improve the service by putting more lofts around. Besides, we paid higher for a better overall experience. Also, I hope some people are considerate enough para hindi humiga sa lofts considering na andaming nakatayo, hay…

According to the ticket rules, outside food is not allowed (pero sa totoo lang mukang maluwag naman sila). So we just bought popcorn and beverage in the snack booth located in the lounge. Bottomless softdrinks are available but you have to go back to the snack booth if you want a refill, natawa ako sa offer na eto – hassle kaya, sino naman ang gusto umalis sa pwesto nya para lang mag-refill ng softdrinks (unless the movie is boring)?

But in fairness, I was amazed upon entering the cinema proper. I like the effects on the wall. Well, not really too much but I appreciate it nonetheless.

I also like the provided 3D glasses as the lens are wide. I’m also glad that I was barely destructed by the head in front of me as there’s enough vertical spacing between the seats. In terms of video quality, I didn’t find spotty dirt and stains on the wall unlike in other SM Cinemas of the same mall. For the audio, I was really impressed! The sound is brilliantly clear. I can really distinguish the audio difference between IMAX and a regular cinema.

One thing I noticed though is the small legroom. It’s not so comfortable to move as you may kick the seat in front of you. I wasn’t expecting the legroom to be that small for an IMAX cinema. But overall, it's a good experience especially that it's both our first time in an IMAX theater; and again, I really appreciate how clear the sound is. I’m very particular to that lalo na pag Engish ‘yung movie para mas madaling intindihin hihihi.
 

2 non-violent reactions so far.

  1. Ayel August 8, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    It was my first time too when we watched HP7p2 at IMAX. Hindi kinaya ng mga mata ko hahaha.. :) I was tearing the whole time... Tinyaga ko na lang kasi HP7 un eh hehehe... but if it's not necessary to be watch via IMAX, Digital 3D na lang ako :) but it's good to have experienced it. Ganda din nmn. :)
  2. Ry August 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    ako rin mas prefer ko rin sa digital 3D, specifically Ayala cinemas for wider legroom :)

Post a comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...